Thursday, May 5, 2016

Designing a Shared Kids Space – Boy’s Edition

SharedSpace MB Pinnable Image

Hello again! Dawn here, from DesigningDawn.com, back with another mood board for your decoration inspiration. (If you’d like to see all my mood boards and mock-ups for Remodelaholic, click here.)

Last month, I took on the challenge of a shared kid’s bedroom, and put together a space two sisters would love. Getting a cohesive look in a room with two occupants can be difficult, and I didn’t want the boys to feel left out. So this month I’m taking on the same, challenge, but this time putting together a room for brothers.  As usual, I began with some inspiration photos:

Boy-Friendly Shared Rooms via Remodelaholic

Shared boys room inspiration

Found on birchandbird.com

Shared boys room inspiration -- one headboard for two beds!

Original Source Unknown

Shared Kids Space Inspiration -- beds plus a reading nook in a small space. Smart!

Found on designdazzle.com

I love how each of these spaces has such a different feel! You can really get a sense of personality from kid’s bedrooms. So fun to decorate! With all this inspiration in mind, I got to work on my own take on a shared boys’ space. Here is what I came up with:

A fun and colorful shared boys room! Love that it will grow with them.

Shared Brothers’ Space Sources:
Striped Pillowcase
Zebra Head Wall Decor
White Quilts
Tufted Headboard
Rug
Zebra Head Wall Decor
Wild and Free Wall Art
Striped Quilt
Yellow Throw Pillow
Turquoise Throw Pillow
Dresser

I really love this color scheme. It’s right up my ally for a girly space… not too soft or frilly, and definitely fun and bright. Actually, after seeing how the moodboard turned out, I kind of want to recreate it somewhere in my home! But that’s for a different day. So anyway, here are some of my tips on creating a cohesive shared bedroom space for kids:

More Tips to Design a Shared Kids Space

Sneak in storage – In a kid’s room, and especially a shared space, storage is a must. To get the most out of a shared kid’s space, sneak in extra storage wherever you can. Maybe that’s in the form of decorative baskets or boxes. Or maybe you select a bed with storage underneath. Whatever the rout you choose, making sure there is a place for everything will help keep everything in it’s place!

Keep it fun – No matter your design style, I think it’s important to remember that a kid’s room is for kids. Throwing in something just for fun is almost a necessity. In this space, the stuffed plush zebra head on the wall is whimsical and cute, and the large wall graphic with it’s scribbled look makes the space feel carefree.

Define the space – A shared bedroom can start to feel cluttered with furniture and decor quickly, so it’s important to define each zone in the room. Keeping play areas, desk areas, and sleeping areas clearly defined gives the whole space an organized atmosphere. Looking closely at the inspiration photos above, you can see how each sleeping area is carefully defined, whether by an area rug, a gallery wall over the beds, task lamps by each bed, or a decorative item (like a giant initial) over each bed.

Plan for play – My final tip for designing a shared kid’s bedroom is to plan for play. That may sound obvious, but sometimes the Pinterest perfect rooms you see online don’t really seem so kid friendly. In any kid’s room, but especially one that is shared between siblings, play is inevitable. So make sure to leave as much room for play as possible, and if an item is fragile or off limits, maybe consider finding it a different home… at least until your kids are old enough to appreciate it. 🙂

So there you have it! My recommendations for working with shared kid’s spaces. Do your kids share a space in your home? Or did you share growing up, like I did? Do you have any other tips you’d add to the list?

As always, thank you to Cassity and the Remodelaholic team for having me back each month. I’d love for you to visit me over on my blog, DesigningDawn.com, or follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram for random updates and inspiration. Have a great day, friends!

-Dawn

See more from Dawn:


More boys’ room ideas:25-Teen-Boy-Bedrooms
Real-Life Boys’ Bedrooms (by bloggers)Boys' Bedrooms Pinterest Pic

Tips for a neutral shared bedroom
Get This Look - Yellow and Navy Shared Bedroom - Remodelaholic.com

 

The post Designing a Shared Kids Space – Boy’s Edition appeared first on Remodelaholic.



from Home Improvement 1 http://ift.tt/1WbmAF8

No comments:

Post a Comment