Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Beautiful Green Entry Table + Tips for Chalk Paint

Next up in our #TurningTablesDIY week, we are thrilled to welcome a sweet friend, the very talented Rhoda from Southern Hospitality. Be sure to pay her a visit to see her beautiful home and the home tours she posts! Plus, check out all of the #TurningTablesDIY posts here and be sure to subscribe by email or RSS and follow along over on Facebook so you won’t miss a single one of the amazing posts we have coming up!

Hello and I’m so happy to be here on Remodelaholic with Cassity. Cassity and I go back a few years in the blogging world and it’s an honor to be here sharing with you all today.

I’m Rhoda from Southern Hospitality and I’ve been blogging for 9 years. I started off as a heavy decorating/DIY blog and have since evolved into a lifestyle blog, sharing plenty of DIY and decorating along the way, but also recipes, travel and fashion. I renovated a 1979 house inside and out and shared that process every step of the way on my blog, so that’s been a fun journey. I have always loved a good DIY project and since most of us aren’t rich, saving some bucks by yardsaling and thrifting has always been part of my decorating arsenal. Today’s project is a yard sale find from years ago and that’s where I’ve found some of my best pieces to makeover.

How to use chalk paint to change the color of furniture, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

You can also check out some of my other popular paint projects on my blog, like painting old chairs to make them over and even a bit of distressing and using stain to seal (below picture). Great way to spruce up those old pieces, as I’m sure you already know.

Thrifted furniture make-overs by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

Here’s a pretty bookcase I found yardsaling and made it over to go with my bright office space and I added the beadboard backing too. Adding a fun color on the back adds a nice pop!

Tutorial for painting furniture using chalk paint by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

Let’s get to the green desk project!

Tips for Using & Finishing Chalk Paint
by Rhoda from Southern Hospitality

I’m a big thrifter over the years and have collected some great pieces from yard sales. I found this one at a yard sale for $25 and it’s a Henredon piece. It was originally a brown wood color and I decided to paint it black several years ago. I loved it like this for many years, but it was time for a change.

Here is all you’ll need for your project:

  1. Can of chalk paint, color of your choice
  2. Can of Satin Varnish or another water-based varnish of your choice
  3. Small foam roller
  4. Small paint brush

Maison Blanche chalk paint in St Anne completely restores used furniture in fun, exciting colors for any room of your home by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

There are many chalk paints on the market now, so you can choose the one you like the best. I’ve used several of them and have really enjoyed this brand. I got some Maison Blanche chalky paint and went to work. I decided on a fresh green color, called St. Anne’s and got everything set up. I love using chalk paint for furniture projects, because you don’t have to sand and it sticks really well. Remove drawers and hardware before you start painting.

How to use Maison Blanche satin varnish instead of wax by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

Many DIYers use wax on their painted furniture pieces and I’ve used wax before, but I prefer a solid finish on most of my pieces and adding a Satin Varnish on top is a great way to protect the chalk like finish and give it a little sheen. I love using this varnish from Maison Blanche too.

Upcycle an old desk using chalk paint, a complete tutorial by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

Prepare your piece for painting by protecting the floor or you can move your piece to the garage or another area. I poured out my paint in a paper plate and used a small foam roller and small paint brush. You’ll need both to get into the crevices and use the foam roller on the flat parts.

How to use chalk paint to refinish furniture in bold colors, Maison Blanche St Anne, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

This goes pretty fast. Don’t worry about covering too heavy, you’ll need to do a couple of coats to cover anyway. Watch out for drips and wipe those up right away.

Tutorial for using chalk paint to refinish furniture in an accent color by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

Once the first coat is one, it will look a little splotchy, but that’s OK. Let dry overnight or a few hours and then do a 2nd coat.

Preserve details when refinishing furniture using chalk paint by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

My desk had some detailing on the legs, that I had painted gold originally, so I left that part untouched, so the black and gold could shine through.

First coat of chalk paint when refinishing furniture, Maison Blanche Chalk Paint in St Anne, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

It looks good to have some detailing on a piece like this.

Two coats of chalk paint for refinishing furniture, Maison Blanche in St Anne, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

After two coats, it’s much more covered, but go back and look for any areas that might need touching up. Your finish will feel like chalk, very dry to the touch, but that’s where the varnish comes in. It’s a water based Satin Varnish and cleans up easily. I also used the foam roller and paint brush to apply the clear varnish.

Tutorial for adding color and WOW to any room with chalk paint, Maison Blanche, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

After the varnish went on, I added back the original brass knobs and my piece was ready to accessorize. I love the pop of cheery green that the desk adds to my space and I’ve added more green around the room, too. It’s a nice mix of greens and blues in my space, very happy and cheerful.

How to use your accent color to paint furniture, a tutorial using chalk paint by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

I use a variety of things to decorate and vintage paintings are some of my favorite to collect.

How to decorate a room with just the right amount of accent color by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

I had a black lamp in the room, so I took a paintbrush and painted it green as well. It’s always a good idea to sprinkle an accent color around the room.

Green and blue and white living area, DIY, by Southern Hospitality featured on @Remodelaholic

And here’s an aerial view of my room now. I love the mix of blues and greens with my vintage wood pieces and also the painted pieces I’ve mixed into the room. It’s fun to get a new look just by painting a piece of furniture and it’s one of the easiest things you can do to update your space on a budget. I’ve been painting furniture for years, way before I started blogging and it’s my go-to way to update anything! I’d love for you to stop by my blog, Southern Hospitality, for lots more decorating and project inspiration.

This green entry table is beautiful! I love the paint color and these tips for using and sealing chalk paint are just what I need for my next project! @Remodelaholic


Thanks for sharing, Rhoda! Love that pop of green. Remodelaholics, be sure to pay Rhoda a visit over at Southern Hospitality

See more #TurningTablesDIY posts here and be sure to subscribe by email or RSS and follow along over on Facebook so you won’t miss a single one of the amazing posts we have coming up, like this awesome easy building plan:

modern side table-7

The post Beautiful Green Entry Table + Tips for Chalk Paint appeared first on Remodelaholic.



from Home Improvement 1 http://ift.tt/291tkBn

No comments:

Post a Comment