Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Large Scale DIY Calligraphy Art {the easy way!}

No more empty walls! Turn some things you have around the house into this DIY calligraphy art wall hanging -- no art skills required!

Hey friends! I’m coming to you today with a project that was so incredibly easy and satisfying to accomplish, that I may just be making a few of these to give to people as gifts, or I’ll have to make some more for myself because at less than  $5 each, you can definitely afford to interchange some artwork throughout the house with this easy DIY hand-painted calligraphy art.

No more empty walls! Turn some things you have around the house into this DIY handpainted calligraphy art wall hanging -- no art skills required!

DIY Large Scale Calligraphy Art
by Thalita of The Learner Observer

For starters, here’s everything you’ll need:

  • white fabric (I used a twin-sized single sheet from IKEA that I already had at home)
  • a couple of craft paintbrushes
  • black paint (I used mineral paint)
  • one nailing strip cut in half
  • hot glue gun and glue
  • twine or string
  • engineering print template, which I’m happy to share with you!

To start:

Lay out your engineering print on the floor and cover with white fabric. The print is 20×30, so you need at least that much fabric.

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Now use clips all the way around the print to hold paper and fabric together. This will make the next step much easier!

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Trace around the words with a pencil. You don’t have to worry about the fabric moving around too much thanks to those clips!

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Now you’re ready to start painting. Remove the clips and paper and clip the fabric onto a hard surface. I used the back of an old frame, which was made of particle board. Now simply fill in the words in black paint!

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Since I wanted to keep my piece in the original 20×30 size, once the paint was dry I placed the fabric back on top of the print and cut around the edges. Yes, you can complete this step at the beginning, you definitely don’t need to wait like I did! I only waited because I wanted to see if I would like it better bigger, or in a square shape – regular ol’ 20×30 rectangle was the way to go!

I did not cut my edges perfectly evenly. I wanted the piece to look a bit dishevelled and actually frayed the edges a bit.

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Now take your nailing strip, which should be cut into two 24″ pieces and glue the fabric onto it. The fabric will just sit on the back of the wood strip, but do make sure you press down on the glue (carefully, so you don’t burn yourself) to make sure it stays in place.

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Now grab some twine or whatever kind of string you’d like and tie it to either side of the top wood strip, leaving some wiggle room. NoteL if you want to be finished at this point, you don’t need the string. It’s totally optional!

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

Cut off the excess, and hang it up!

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

It would be a lovely piece on its own, but I paired it with this super simple DIY eucalyptus wall hanging and this gorgeous macrame plant hanger by the wonderfully talented Natalie Ranae! I love that this once super boring wall now has so much life, and pieces that are truly meaningful to me.

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

This was the very last thing I made for our living room makeover, and I love how it completes the room! If you’d like some sources on what we have in here, the sofa is from Leon’s, as is the sideboard, the rug is Rugs USA (and it is oh SO soft and cozy, you guys), and the stools and stump tables were DIYs. That bookshelf was from IKEA but it’s been discontinued.

But back to the artwork! It’s easily one of the easiest pieces of art I’ve ever added to my home. And it cost a total of $2.75! I used paint and fabric (bed sheet) I already had and got the nail strip for $0.75. The engineering print was $2 at Staples, so I wouldn’t have felt bad if I ruined it.

DIY Large Hand-painted calligraphy art. | The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic.com

And there you have it! I hope you give this a shot, and if you do, let me know!!

Until next time!!


More easy art ideas for your walls:

How to Successfully Create an Abstract Painting

3 easy diy art projects that you can do at home

DIY Modern Alphabet and Morse Wall Pennant

60 budget-friendly ideas for high-impact large wall art you can DIY

 

Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Please see our full disclosure here.

The post Large Scale DIY Calligraphy Art {the easy way!} appeared first on Remodelaholic.



from Home Improvement 1 http://ift.tt/2aM4BRW

No comments:

Post a Comment